Friday, October 12, 2012

Looper

It has been a couple months since my last movie post, so I thought I would do another one.  I went to see Looper not too long ago.  The time travel plot is interesting, but I couldn't help but equate many of the sequences in this movie to The Terminator.  There is a guy who travels back in time to kill the past version of a person to prevent a future event.  The mother of one of these persons is named Sara.  Can we get any closer?  The looper character is also Sara's protector and eventual lover, although he does not come from the future.  Or so we think into a really well done ending sequence that adds more time travel questions than it answers.  I like endings like that.  The unfortunate thing is the movie that occurred before the ending.  I realize we are dealing with a punk-style anti-hero, but one still needs to create a desire to like the character or want him to succeed.  So many movies nowadays are driven by what can be generated in a computer; it would be nice to actually cheer for a character again.  Other then the ending, the best part of the movie was the fantastic pocket watch, pictured here:
I found out this is a Victorian watch made in England for sale in the Turkish Ottoman Empire around 1850-1880.  I was so taken by the watch that I actually bought one on eBay.  It is supposed to arrive in 7 days.  Another thing about the pocket watch is it may not have been what was originally filmed.  There are several websites that are selling this "official Looper replica watch."
This is a very different style from the one in the first picture.  Anywho, there is enough time travel conflict to make the scifi enjoyable, but the characters aren't worth rooting for.  Therefore, I would recommend you wait until Netflix or Redbox carries it to see this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.