Thursday, June 28, 2012

Gumdrops, first batch, conclusion

Well, these didn't turn out, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, or something like that.

The gumdrops had three problems.

First, they were crystalline.  I know one problem in candy making is if one doesn't get all the crystals dissolved the candy will crystalize again.  Therefore, I need to take more time to melt the sugar and clean the sides of the pan before boiling.

Second, they were mushy.  This is probably too much moisture, so that means not enough boiling.  The recipes I found gave a time and not a temperature, as is done with most candy.  I think perhaps I need to choose a temperature stage.  Hard ball seems to describe a gumdrop texture best.  Depending on what source I use, hard ball stage is anywhere from 248° to 266°.  The trick will be doing the actual hard ball test during the cooking.  I hope I get it right fast so I don't waste too much sugar syrup.


Third, they stuck to the metal pans.  Several gumdrop recipes use cooking spray on the molds.  However, I would rather not add fat.  After all, it is already pure sugar.  I think I will have to experiment with submerging the molds in hot water to loosen the gumdrops.


Anyhow, that is the end of the first batch.  I will hopefully try another batch soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.