Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gumdrops, first batch, part 1


So, here is the log of my attempt to make homemade gumdrops.

First, I needed the proper kettle.  Based on one candy book, the kettle should be 3-4 times the size of the batch.  I am going to be using 1 cup of sugar, so a 1 quart kettle should suffice.  Off I went to the thrift store, and I was fortunate to find a 1-quart copper-bottom saucepan.  There was even a glass lid in the lid bin that fit.  I spent about $2.50 for the kettle and lid.

Next, it was off to the grocery store to buy sugar, flavoring, and gelatin.  The supply of flavorings at the King Soopers (our local Kroeger affiliate), so I just grabbed a bottle of orange extract.  I already have a bottle of banana flavoring at home, so I can make two different flavors.  I was disappointed the King Soopers did not have bulk gelatin.  I had to pay through the nose for packets.  Off to the interweb!  Well, it turns out I did not pay through the nose.  Most on-line sources for unflavored gelatin are charging much more per ounce, and I would have to pay shipping.  I just do not like the idea of working with packets rather than being able to scoop out a tablespoon.

Well, off to mise en place.

Got my water ready to boil and my other water ready for the gelatin.  Working with the packets of gelatin is a bit of a pain.  I need 1 level tbsp.  According to the Internet, 3 packets = 2 tbsp.  That figures, so I did my best to get to my level tbsp.  In the future, I will get out my scale and go by grams.  According to the box, each packet is 7 grams.  If 3 packets = 2 tbsp., then 21 grams = 2 tbsp, so 10.5 grams would be 1 tbsp.  That now becomes part of the recipe.  On with mise en place.  Measured the sugar; found a wooden spoon.  All set to go.

I put water in my campfire coffeepot to boil and turned on the heat.  I put the cold water in the saucepan and sprinkled the unflavored gelatin over it to proof.  When the coffeepot was boiling, I added the boiling water to the gelatin mixture and stirred until all the gelatin was dissolved.  I then added the sugar and brought the mixture to a boil.  This lead to my first failure.  The kettle was too small; the boiling sugar boiled up over the lip of the kettle and onto my burner.  My apartment now smells like singed caramel.  I reduced the heat and blew on the foam until it subsided.  The next step was to simmer and stir constantly.  None of my example recipes listed what to watch for as the doneness point, so I simmered and stirred for 15 minutes.  I took the kettle off the stove and added 5 drops of yellow food coloring and 1/2 tsp. of banana flavoring.  I vigorously stirred this in.  There was still foam in the pot; this concerned me, but I proceeded.  The recipe I had chosen should have filled only 12 moulds.  However, it filled 17.  This could be a sign I didn’t evaporate enough water.

So, the moulds are now in the fridge.  I shall see tomorrow what my level of success was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.