Thursday, November 22, 2012

Google Drive kind of sucks

I want to backup the files on my 500 gb external drive, so I thought I would use Google Drive, since it is available.  First, Google Drive required me to download an app to put on my Mac (which is running 10.6.8).  Okay, I did that.  The app created a folder much like the Dropbox folder.  I am simply supposed to move files into the folder, and Drive is supposed to sync with my folders.  Unfortunately, this never happened.  There is also no option to start a sync, although there is an option to pause.  Maybe I am just too impatient, but I am really not happy with there being no information on whether or not my files are syncing or have synced.  Therefore, I went back to the old way of getting files out to Google Drive:  I uploaded them.  At this point, I would have to say that the new Google Drive sucks as compared to uploading file and compared to Dropbox.  Since Google+ is also suspending my account for not using my legal name, I think it is time to cut back on my use of Google products.

I thought I would check out Microsoft's SkyDrive, since I also have an email account with them.  SkyDrive has 7gb of free storage compared with Google Drive's 5gb.  SkyDrive also has an app available to create a folder to put synced items into.  However, the app requires 10.7, and I am only at 10.6.8.  I could still use SkyDrive to upload folders, but that took forever using Drive, so I am not all that enthused about trying it.

Okay, I just tried syncing something smaller, a folder with 2.4mb.  Nothing happened for what seemed like the longest time, then I got a "unable to connect" error on the drop-down menu.  After that, the toolbar icon (that looks like the three-arrow recycling logo), started to change hues.  When that stopped, the files were in both the folder and the on-line drive.  I suppose my difficulty was trying to load too much as one time.  I will proceed using smaller files and see what happens.

I started a 483mb folder at 1:24 p.m.  Before it began to sync, I opened the drop-down menu and clicked "Pause" then "Resume".  Within 1 minute, the icon started changing hues again.  The title of the folder has appeared on-line, and little check marks are appearing next to the file names in the folder as they sync.  As of 2:57 p.m., the sync is still running.  I am beginning to wonder if it would just be more beneficial to forget this and start everything fresh.  I forced it to stop so I could go on with other things.

While waiting for this procedure to complete, I checked my backed-up .zip files.  I have almost 31gb of old backup.  Combining SkyDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox, I have a total of 13gb to use.  I guess I need to start deciding which backups are really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.