Sunday, May 27, 2012

Figuring out polyphasic sleep times

The hardest thing about polyphasic sleep seems to be figuring out what times to sleep.  The original chart doesn't include exact times, only approximations.  Other pie charts I've found also have the same problem.  In fact, the pieces of the pie charts indicate equidistant sleep times, whereas this only exists on the original chart for the most extreme polyphasic sleep schedules (those with 5 or 6 sleep sessions per day).  This confused me, so I developed this spreadsheet to help me calculate when I should go to sleep.

The top portion is based on the original chart.  Simply change the first time (remember to use the time format of 12:30 pm) in the time column, and all the other times will change to show what time one should go to sleep using that polyphasic sleep schedule.  I have not included the 6-nap option because that is simply a 4-hour schedule; i.e., sleep at 1 am, 5 am, 9 am, 1 pm, 5 pm, and 9 pm.

The lower portion of the spreadsheet follows the pie chart equidistant formula of scheduling polyphasic sleep.  Simply enter the new time (again, remember to use the time format of 1:17 am) in the column for how often you wish to sleep.  The spreadsheet will tell you when to go to bed.

Some folks may notice I have added a classification to the spreadsheet that does not exist in the polyphasic literature:  Collegiate.  One, and only one, website noted this is the sleep pattern of most students, and it is actually the one I wish to try to begin my transition to polyphasic sleep.

My problem with adopting to this type of sleep schedule is I am a pussy when it comes to making decision.  I wuss out more often than not.  We shall see how I can bring about this type of change in my life when I have no real will-power; my brain is more of a dream factory.

Anyhow, that is the latest on my polyphasic sleep project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.