Monday, May 28, 2012

Gas Experiment, Pre-Part 5 notes

Since I started this little gasoline experiment back on May 3, gasoline prices have dropped 15¢, and I have earned a 30¢ discount on the grocery store gasoline.  This discount has to be used before May 31.

Recalculating my original calculations:  If the Shell gas is $3.82 per gallon and I get 35 miles per gallon, that comes to 10.91¢ per mile.  The generic gas is $3.76 per gallon and I get 32 miles per gallon, that comes to 11.75¢ per mile.  I would save 0.84¢ per mile by buying the more expensive gas.  I drive about 330 miles per week to work, so I would save $2.77 per week on gas.

Now, calculating the 30¢ discount, my generic gas would be $3.49 per gallon or 10.9¢ per mile.  Is this worth polluting my gas tank for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.