Sunday, July 8, 2012

Gumdrops, second batch, part 1

Since my first attempt at gumdrops was a minor disaster, I reviewed the recipes I made my concoction from.  There was only one recipe that did not boil the gelatin, so I decided to make an attempt at that recipe without making any adjustments, except for size.

I cut the recipe in half so as to not waste too much sugar.  I put the gelatin in a spouted measuring cup and proceeded to boil the sugar on its own.  The sugar came out nice, but working according to the instructions, the boiling syrup got up to only 210°F.  I added this to the prepared gelatin in my glass cup, added color and flavor, and poured this into the pan.  The original recipe says it makes 24.  However, this half-batch filled 24 molds and had some left over.

I am also testing methods of removing the gumdrops from metal molds.  One mold I left alone; the other I sprayed with cooking spray.

Now it is just a matter of waiting 24 hours to see how they solidify and if I can remove them without much damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.