Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How much does a cup of sugar weigh?

I really hate using measuring cups.  They are so often inaccurate.  One can overpack things like flour or sugar, and the companies that make measuring cups do not issue guarantees of accuracy.  That is why when I work with recipes, I prefer to convert everything to dry weight measurements.  One reason my gumdrops may have failed is the sugar was inaccurate.  To eliminate that type of problem in the future, I need to know how much a cup of sugar weighs.


According to the sugar packaging, 1 tsp. = 4 g.  If we multiply this up, 1 tbsp. = 12 g., 1/4 c. = 48 g., and 1 c. = 192 g.  However, using my stainless steel measuring cups, I find 1 c. = 210 g.  According to answers.com, 1 c. = 200 g., right smack dab in the middle of the two.  According to the C&H Sugar website, 1 lb = 2-1/4 cups.  The conversion is 1 lb = 453.59237 grams.  Divide that by 9 to get 50.3991522 grams per 1/4 cup.  Multiply that by 4 to make a full cup, and the total is 201.596609 grams per cup.  Therefore, the 200 grams is a more accurate approximation than the weight listed on the sugar packaging.


What all this means, then, is I can convert recipes by 1/4 cups.  If a recipe calls for 1-1/4 cups of sugar, I can weigh out 250 grams and have an accurate input.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.